Wednesday, October 31

Growing according to the Grower

1BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather. 2But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night. 3And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended] by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity]. Psalm 1:1-3 (AMP)

Often called the "Preface Psalm" because of the fact this is the divine sermon of the Psalms.

It brings to mind the Jeremiah verse that was the basis of the book "Leaf in Drought", which was sent via my wife from Rose Anne Coleman concerning the 'drought' of the season that I am facing in regards to the opposition to ministry.

For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear[a] when heat comes; But its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, Nor will cease from yielding fruit. Jeremiah 17:8(NKJV)

I sent out a resume in response to a position opening at a church in the area. And spent the rest of the day since agonizing over whether or not I'm qualified, whether or not I should even expect a favorable reply, and whether or not someone will ever realize I'm called (beside me and God).

The church I've sent the resume to is actually quite like the church I attend now, maybe a bit more mature in its growth. I don't know its depth, but the structure shows favorable signs of a good fertile soil. And they have been kind in the past in regards to my resume. I sent it to one of the Pastors just to see about some pointers and he sent it to the position committee for consideration. When I apologized, he said that they do everything by prayer. So I am content in the knowledge that if God intends, God will speak into the hearts of those who would make such decisions. It is much better than a seemingly office-politics kind of atomsphere which typically prevades the 'mega' church or one growing into such.

But, what a merciful Father we have. Redirecting my attention to the Jeremiah verse via the Psalm. Showing me what He has intended and what is going to come to past within the season of His choosing.

Like a tree, I need to plant my roots deep in the fertile soil of the Lord's substance and drink deeply of the waters so that I may produce the fruit that would draw others into Him.

Sure am thirsty....

Jim

No comments: