Monday, August 13

You've got to be kidding

Just when life gives me a bit of breathing room and I'm humming along with the peaceful tunes of doing the Lord's purpose for me, the road either gets some potholes that jar the teeth into the eyeballs or.....well, you get the picture.

Joshua 1:1-18 was the target read for the sermon this week at Meadowbrook Chapel, and it was written several weeks before. I've been chopping the entire sermon on Fear into bite size bits for the congregation because we've been singing alot more than usual. But, this was dead on to what God wanted us as a congregation and me as the Chaplain to hear.

One of the congregation is dying, and although its something I'm going to come across repeatedly in the extended care facility, it doesn't make it any easier for me to take. Many of our congregatants have aches and pains, illness and infirmities.......and their Chaplain isn't any different. But I've never been in a position where I haven't been able to "pass it on" to higher authorities. With my member dying, I was all on my own in ministrying to her needs, and her family. As I told God and my wife, "Please don't let me screw this up. For her sake, for her family's sake and for God's sake."

But as Joshua finds out in the first chapter, he is only required to be "strong and courageous" and the Lord will do the rest. And He does in reflection to Joshua's faith.

We, as the body of Christ, have it good. If God is for us, then who would even dare stand against us? As the tribes told Joshua, "Whoever rebels against your words, whatever you may command them, will be put to death!"

No comments: